...as our play community develops, there are particular times when we seek out games withy fewer and fewer rules. We have so affmired our ability to play well together, to be safe with each other, that rules begin to get in the way of our freedom together.
As we begin to sense our power to create our own conventions, as we discover that the authority for determining whether or not a particular game is suitable resides not in the game but in the play community, we are willing, even, to change the very conventions that unite us.
pgs. 12–13
As we continue to pursue this need to focus on the game alone, we find ourselves less and less willing to do anything other than think about the game. (...)
We create an authority which is no longer within our control, no longer subject to the conditions of our community. This helps us keep our minds on the game. This helps us avoid arguments. We have others now who can do that for us.
As our rules become regulations, we create greater and greater distance between our community adn those who govern it. Not only do we give our authority over to the referees and umpires, but we also allow their authority to be determined by an even larger authority, unnamed, unspecific, to which ascribe the personality for determining the regulations by which we play. (...)
We have reached a point in the pursuit of our well-played game in which the game has taken precedence over our community.
pg. 32
Rules are made for the convenience of those who are playing. What is fair at one time or in one game may be inhibiting later on. It's not the game that's sacred, it's the people who are playing.
pg. 44
If anything needs to change, it is much more logical to change the game than it is to change the people who are playing.
pgs. 47
No matter what game we create, no matter how well we are able to play it, it is our game, and we can change it when we need to, we don't need permission or approval from anyone outside our community. We play our games as we see fit.
Which means that now we have at our disposal the means whereby we can always fit the game to the way we want to play.
pg. 53
Clarity. Clarity. We can't play unless we are clear that that's what we're doing.
pg. 103
The games [of the New Games Foundation] were called "new" not because people had never played them before but because they were kept new by the ways in which they were played. Whatever rules there were, they were only the starting point, the introduction to the game. They described not how the game had to be played, but rather how the game could be played. People played the games the way they wanted them to be. that was the understanding that made the games "new."
pg. 113
We can play dangerously and still play well. If it works, we can play with more. We can be safe even though we're playing with things that we can't play with anywhere else. We can play with serious things—things of consequence. We could play with silence, with fasting, with patience. We could play with anger, with fear... Because we play responsibly, because we have affirmed our responsibilities to each other, to the sense of wellness, we can become larger than necessity. We can discover a new freedom. (...)
So we play with danger. A little danger. Enough danger. It is thrilling beyond words, this ability to play well with survival—to include in our games the very things that we have never been able to play with before. We can even play with death.
We can do this as long as we maintain our balance, as long as we are fully aware of the consequences, and fully accepting them. But, as our games get dangerous, our community has yet another obligation—we must make doubly sure that everyone we are playing with knows the consequences, has chosen to play.
pg. 125
Playing to win is as absurd as anything else, but if it helps us play well together, if it helps us arrive at a well-played game, we have to know that we all take the effort seriously.
pg. 130
Imagine how incomplete you would feel if, before the game, you were already declared the winner. Imagine how purposeless the game would feel—even though the universal agreement was that you were the winner.
It is disillusioning, being a winner. As disillusioning as it is to be a loser. If you're a winner, you lose the reason to play. The game goes on, but you don't. If you're a loser, you lose reason. You go on, even though the game is already over.
pg. 138
We seek purpose so strongly that when our purposes are finally, ultimately fulfilled—when we come close enough to see that satisfaction is inevitable—we create, as swiftly as we can, other purposes.
pg. 140
When we're playing, we're not thinking about how well we're playing. We're just playing. We're not even thinking about playing.
pg. 142
If we can all play well together, if we can find out how to do that, we might be able to raise the stakes infinitely.
pg. 143
---
Hey, thanks for sharing! I don't know that I would have got to this book without your post.
ReplyDeleteNow this is to everyone out there with different health challenges, as I know there are still a lot of people suffering from different health issues and are therefore looking for a solution. I bring you Good news. There is a man called herbal doctor Kham, a herbal practitioner who helped cure me from Genital herpes, that I had suffered from for the past 2years and I have spent so much money trying to survive from it. I got my healing by taking the herbal medicine he sent me to drink for about two{2} weeks, Three{3} days after completion of the dosage, I went for a medical checkup and I was tested NEGATIVE. I’m sharing this so that other people can know of this great healer called Dr Kham because I got to know him through a friend he cured from HIV Also. I was made to understand that he can cure several other deadly diseases and infections. Don’t die in ignorance and don’t let that illness take your life. Contact Dr. Kham email dr.khamcaregiver@gmail.com or Whatsapp him +2348159922297, Thank you Dr. Kham Be kind enough to share as you received, You can Also Visit his website https://herbalistdrkhamcaregiver.simdif.com/
ReplyDeleteI'm here to share my situation of herpes virus because I was heartbroken and depressed when I got diagnosed of Genital herpes.. I was given some antiviral pills to “take which even made me more sick and gave me headaches to the point of me puking. I searched everywhere for a solution then I came across this herbal doctor called Kham who gave me hope that he can cure me totally from the virus with his herbal medication so I gave it a try and he prepared and send me the medication through DHL and I drink it for several days the sores were the first to go away and I have just tested negative to the virus for the second time. Believe me this is real, herpes can actually be cured with the right use of herbs! Get to know about this herbal man and his medication on his website https://herbalistdrkhamcaregiver.simdif.com or talk to him directly on WhatsApp.
ReplyDelete